Wednesday, August 25, 2010

tiny changes/ big announcement!

My husband gave me a copy of Frightened Rabbit's Midnight Organ Fight for Christmas and it whole-heartedly sucked me in. I know it came out a couple years ago and I cannot account for why I hadn't heard them sooner, but the first weeks of listening to them nonstop in the car was like embarking on a new relationship: it was really exciting, heart-skipping, breathless. The songs consumed my mind like I might think of a new lover in his or her absence-just wanting to be near again, wanting to nestle into those new warm arms, and trying not to giggle when we kiss.

(I am absolutely writing this with a straight face.)

It's actually a break-up album full of sadness, anger and brutal heartbreak- yet there's something so sexual and passionate about it, even hopeful. Scott Hutchison's voice and words will tear you to shreds and then stitch you up gently, ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Their latest release, The Winter of Mixed Drinks, really does live up to its predecessor. The lyrical content explores the wild world that exists outside of, and in spite of, broken hearts while staying true to the personal and inner-workings nature Frightened Rabbit lovers have come to adore.

I traveled to Boston to see them in April, and I'm totally serious: my life changed. Remember, I'm married, I'm a mom, I'm an artist, I live in one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen,; I've been moved, I've experienced profound changes, and sometimes wonder what else could possibly move me. The answer? Frightened Rabbit live. That's the truth- pure, whole, open- three words I'd also use to describe the presence of the men themselves and how I felt on the four-hour drive home after the show, singing at the tops of my lungs through New England's overnight fog.


Now that you know exactly how I feel about Frightened Rabbit, it is with absolute joy that I tell you I've spoken (via e-mail) with Scott Hutchison himself and he has granted me permission to create Quiet City art inspired by his songs.


(That sound you just heard was the quiet thunder of my heart beating twice at the same time.)

Much like the music of matt pond PA drew pictures and painted scenes in my head, Frightened Rabbit has done what little other music does to me: inspires, consumes, creates. I plan to spend a great deal of time this fall using Mr. Hutchison's lyrics to build illustrations and collages, so new postcards, prints and originals will be popping up in the coming weeks.

I just can't wait to see what happens!

1 comment:

Welcome to the Mouse House said...

Courtney, I know you haven't posted on here in a long while, but I still wanted to include you...
I just nominated you for a blog award:
http://cometothemousehouse.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

:)
Hayley