Monday, August 11, 2008

Last Song

After missing matt pond PA play in Boston (when I lived in Portland, ME) and Denton (after we'd moved to the Dallas area) for whatever reasons, I got the chance to see them for the first time in Dallas in March of 2006. The first song they played at that show was "Last Song," which is one of my favorites. When I started planning this postcard project I knew I'd have to design something based on that song.

Last night I sketched out my idea for my "Last Song" postcard:
Photobucket



And I measured, cut, hemmed and hawed again, and assembled it today:
Photobucket


"My mind was set just like the sun's red but now the sun is setting." Words by Matthew Pond, copyright 2004 matt pond PA. Artwork (paper and ink collage) by Courtney, copyright 2008 Quiet City. "Last Song" is from the album Emblems.

As you can see, this card is flawed. I worked backwards-ish, from middle to bottom to top, when I should have gone from top to bottom. The wrinkles were intentional although they got out of hand. It'll look much better once it's scanned and printed, I assure you. Really.

As always I showed my husband when I had the paper down. He shrugged about it and said it was a little blah because there wasn't much going on. "I assure you there is," I told him, knowing how much I'd had going on trying to make it work.

After I wrote the lyrics on, I brought it to him again and he said he liked it better.

Me: Is it still blah, though?
Husband: Kind of- for me at least.
Me: What does it need?
Husband: I don't really know.
Me: What would make it un-blah? Like, a knife fight?

Oh, and just in case you're wondering, that black and white pattern surrounding the finished postcard- that would be my jammie pants. Because I am still wearing them. It's almost 4 p.m. Yes. Full glamour, Old Navy stay-at-home mom style.

1 comment: